Saturday, January 21, 2006

Transitive Impressions

When I was a kid, he lived above the clouds,
He answered my prayers, only If I ate my vegetables,
He punished me for skipping my home works,
He would send his friends if I didn't brush my teeth.

Within a couple of years, my moral science teacher let him free,
he started living everywhere, he started knowing everything,
he no longer waited for my prayers or confessions,
He also grew powerful, he could grant me good scores.

A few more years passed, and he started assuming colors,
He acted differently for each friend of mine,
He gave different rule books to each one,
To each he said that following those rules is important.

A few years later, he made expert rule readers,
Many said the same rule and meant different things,
A few said that all rule books have same rules,
Some said that it is not he but a she,
A few insisted that there are many out there,
and some doubted if anyone's out there.

The strength in shoulders increased with the youth,
that person beyond, evolved with me,
he became my friend,
He was powerful and yet not frightening,
He was not judging my actions,
he was just a companion

As youth flowered into maturity,
he shirked off his powerful form,
He transformed into a kid in my backyard,
playing all the time,
He seemed to have forgotten all his job,
of watching me and rewarding me,
But, I enjoyed seeing him running to catch a squirrel

A few more decades and we both will finish our duties together,
Enjoying and appreciating each other's presence,
In different capacities,
with different responsibilities,
Interluded with moments of awareness,
of existence of only one.